Saturday, August 29, 2009

Plovdiv

So far I'm very pleasantly surprised by Bulgaria's second largest city. I arrived by bus yesterday afternoon and walked from the bus station down a quiet tree lined street past the University and into the main square, found a tourist information center and the post office where I mailed some postcards. From there I headed down a very wide pedestrian-only avenue lined with nice shops and restaurants. Lots of people but not overly touristy. After 15 minutes I arrived at a 500 year old mosque and turned right, winding my way up cobblestone streets towards my hostel and the top of the hill settled by the Thracians some 5000 years ago.
A little history.... As I said Plovdiv was settled about 5000 years ago but it was Phillip II of Macedonia (Alexander the Great's pop) who put it on the map in 342BC. The Romans conquered it a few hundred years later and "Romanized" it. There's a magnificent 2000 year old amphitheater less than a 5 minute walk from my hostel. t seats 6000 an is used today for concerts and plays.
I had some local fare for dinner in a very quaint outdoor courtyard adjoining am art gallery on my way to the amphitheater. It was a mixture of cheese, sausage, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes and egg baked in a locally made earthenware crock with a liter of the local Kamenista lager for about $4.50 US. It was so filling I couldn't even finish. Well that's enough for now... I need some breakfast.
Cheers,
LP

7 comments:

  1. It must be heaven if there is beer......is the language a barrier? You are doing a great job with the blog. Pop is always excited when I say "Mail from the 3rd! Today is Tomato Fest at Market...we will see who wins the salsa contest now that Art is a professsional...his surprise party at Andrews today as well...till next time.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. The language has been a bit of a barrier... especially trying to catch my bus. But all in all no reals problems. The beer is typical gold colored lager. Not bad but not great. The wine is fine though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say wine? Now you got my attention......like red......like how good.....

    I bet it was fun getting the bus...I always find the lanuage a barriers fun....

    ReplyDelete
  4. like trying to figure which bus to take from downtown Easton to get to Wegman's, ever try it? A real adventure, without the great scenery....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looked up on google earth and found some awesome photos of the amphitheatre at night and other shots of Plovdiv including bus on route 29.......will try to show these to Pop as you go..makes the sharing even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so envious of your travels and all the historic places you are seeing... would be quite fearful to attempt something similar on my own (especially at my age!)... one of these days I may get to that part of the world though... Sounds as though you are making your way all right and staying safe in the bargain... happy travels! (we leave Wed AM for Idaho/Montana and will be gone for three weeks so I may be online less)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got your text...no sure if it would cost efficetive to text back...thanks for update will find them on the map....be well

    ReplyDelete