Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cappadochia

The Cappadochia region in central Turkey was formed from the eruptions of 2 volcanoes about 350 kilometers apart. The overlapping layers of lava up to 150 meters thick have been eroded by wınd, rain, sun and snow for millions of years leaving a very surreal landscape. Lots of fairy chimneys and mushroom shaped formations. On top of that the area has been inhabited for a few thousand years and there are all sorts of cave dwellings, churches and even monasteries carved out of the soft rock. Sort of looks like a cross between the Badlands of South Dakota and the cliff dwellings of the Pueblo Indians.
I pıcked up some sort of bug on the way out of Istanbul so I've been layıng low for a couple days in Nevşehır which is the area's largest town. Not a tourist town at all... plenty of good doctors and pharmacies here. I got a prescription and I'm feeling much better now... appetite back to normal. Most people who visit Cappadochia stay in Göreme where I'm heading to tomorrow, but this little unplanned detour into Nevşehır has been rewarding. By chance I'm staying in a small 30 room family owned and operated hotel called 7 Brothers. They just finished renovating the place and are still working out the kinks. One of the brother's sons, Fatıh, speaks English and pretty much runs the place. I looked like death warmed over when I arrived but they've taken very good care of me. While I was sick I couldn't stomach the normal Turkish breakfast of cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, unidentifiable meat product, olives and bread. My body longed for some bland cereal, milk and orange juice so I went to the grocery store and got some. There aren't any refrigerators in the rooms so they let me keep the milk in the restaurant's kitchen. I don't think they drink much cow's milk here, certainly not in their tea, but when I explained I wanted milk in my tea they insisted on warming it up for me first so as not to cool the tea down! It's still Ramazan here so they fast all day and eat around 7pm just after the evening call to prayer. Fatih, his cousin and the girl who runs the front desk all sit down together for a family style meal in the lobby every night, and every night they invite me. Quite a bonus! Delicious home cooked meal and great conversation.
I went on a bus tour yesterday to see some of the surrounding valleys and rock formations... there's really no way to describe it without pictures so you'll all just have to wait until I get home. As I said earlier I'm heading on to Göreme tomorrow to stay in a cave room in a hostel or hotel... not sure which yet. Hoping to do a little hiking and a lot of relaxing. The sun has finally come back out after hiding for a solid week so I'm glad for that. That's all for now...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Larry,

    Just found out about your travel blog from Bob and sounds like you are having a great time. Keep on blogging and look forward to seeing your pics when you return.

    Frank K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are up to speed.....yes that experience you had during the attack of the bug was one that is priceless it sounds. Still raining here as it has for a couple days. The hooping with the "bad girls" went well. Half of them really got into it and did well. Off to help Rob flesh out his booth set up for the Green Energy Expo this weekend. Be well, may the road be a smooth one;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No fun being sick on vacation and far from the usual comforts of home... glad to hear you are being well taken care of and that you are on the mend! (am also anxious to see photos and didn't realize we have to wait until you return home... patience isn't my strongest suit!)

    ReplyDelete