Monday, October 19, 2009

Would I do it again?

Would I do it again? In a word... yes, but I think the optimum time for me would be 3 to 4 weeks. That's long enough to reset your brain and see some really cool stuff, but not so long that you start getting homesick.
I'm back home now ... back to reality... and settling back in slowly. My body clock is set 7 hours ahead so I'm wide awake at 5am and getting very sleepy by 7 or 8pm. I'm sure I'll be back to normal in a week or so but for now I'm really enjoying the quiet of the early morning.
All in all I feel good... well rested, content, tan head to toe, and in great shape. Not that I was overweight by any stretch of the imagination, but I lost about 7 lbs and feel great... lean and mean. I think it was all the walking because lord knows I ate plenty. Between walking to bus and metro stops, walking to hotels, hiking through the mountains and valleys and just general sightseeing I imagine I easily walked 5 to 10 miles every day of the trip.
I can't say I had any great epiphanies on the trip (other than realizing while in Ephesus that this is where the biblical Ephesians lived!) but I did have plenty of time alone with my thoughts, and I came to realize that this is a good thing. It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and loose sight of yourself and what's really important. Contemplation/meditation/prayer... whatever you want to call it... is good for the soul. I vowed to myself to set aside some alone time every week just to sit and think... about anything, about nothing... it really doesn't matter. Just so my brain gets some quiet time and a chance to reshuffle the deck a bit.
I had some other thoughts too, thoughts on God, conspiracy theories and global warming to name a few, but they're still in the formative stages in my mind... too early to come out on paper and probably not appropriate for this venue. I've really enjoyed writing this blog along my trip and perhaps I'll use these other trains of thought to continue my writing... I hope so... time will tell.
On a less philosophical note.... I took about 3000 photos on the trip and I'm still sorting through them. The plan is to go back and post a couple within each blog entry and I'll probably post a bunch on facebook as well. Maybe even hang some at the Pub!

Be well and Godspeed,
Larry

No comments:

Post a Comment